LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting plan help

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Kupus007, May 22, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Kupus007

Kupus007 New Member

I'm looking for a little advice on optimal locations to use mostly spot lights against my home. There are quite a few offsets between the wall depths and I'm having a hard time deciding to put all 15 degree opposite the windows except the far left side. The left side would most likely need something to be wider 38 or 60 degrees?

Ideally I like the look of a 3000k but also don't want the light to be over powering. We sit 8 feet higher than the road and I'm trying to factor that in when it comes to the lumens used. Leaning toward 3W? Also, there are quite a few other items that could be showcased but I don't want to over do it. Japanese maple on the corner, columns and 2 trees on the right. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Kupus,

Here are a few general recommendations for possible locations (pics attached) - I think you're already on the right track as well.

I'd agree that 15 degrees may be a bit narrow for those areas to the left that you already mentioned - either 38 or 60 could look really look great. Personally, I'd likely use a 38-degree to match the beam spread I'd want to use on that window above (using a gutter mounted spotlight).

3W and 5W are the most common for illumination directly on home. I personally prefer more subtle, accent lighting on my home - the only spots I'd maybe consider a 5W would be, those taller areas where you really want to highlight the stone work higher up.

For the columns, in-ground lights with narrow beam spreads would be ideal to help conceal the light sources near the front door while focusing illumination on the columns. The area above the front door may need some illumination as well - are those gutters around the front patio cover? If not, downlights mounted on the 2nd story gutters could work as well.

And, for the area off to the right, you could consider using a floodlight(s) that would accent the lower lying bushes and stones and cast artistic shadows from the tree/bush onto the exterior wall behind. Spotlights could be used to individually highlight the tree and bush - the floodlight approach offers a unique design perspective.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. Kupus007

Kupus007 New Member

Evan,

Great feedback. Any tips on which in-ground light would work best for the columns?

There are gutters on the porch. Were you thinking of doing some up lighting on the center area above the porch?

Thanks,

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

I personally prefer lamp-ready - the VOLT® Salty Dog MR16 Well Light would be my go-to choice for an in-ground light. Waterproof housing with the open sleeve design for drainage, durable PVC sleeve and faceplate, and easy to install, swap and adjust the bulb.

Regarding the area above the front door, you can see where in my design recommendation it could look a bit empty or dark at night. Using the gutter and a pair of Gutter Mount Kits , you could consider using (2) VOLT® Spark Mini Brass Spotlight or (2) VOLT® All-Star™ Mini Brass Spotlight for low-profile, subtle illumination

Mesodude2 likes this.