LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting Plan for a Florida Novice

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jimbo62466, May 7, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Jimbo62466

Jimbo62466 New Member

2. Jimbo62466

Jimbo62466 New Member

I was hoping to confirm that my ideas were reasonable for this lighting project. I am open to any ideas and or suggestions that you might have for me. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Evan K likes this.
  3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I’ll try to address as many of your question as I can. I’ve also diagrammed one of your photos to indicate how I might light a beautiful house like yours. I do that because often people light their homes first and that can influence the landscape lighting choices they make. Now, if you’re planning to uplight the shrub on the far left, I think a pair of Infiniti fixtures would work well there. You’d need a lot of light to filter up into the dense foliage of that shrub to light it effectively. For the other foundation shrubs where you’re only lighting the outer foliage, I think you may find that the Infinti is more firepower than you need. Even the Infiniti 40 might be a bit much for shrubs, given that the fixtures will only be a foot or so away from shrubs that are only a few feet tall. Just about any of the other spot fixture models should illuminate that pair of clipped boxwoods(?) at the base of your portico columns. For the shrub hedge against that wall on the right, I would go with one of the floodlights. Not as bright and the coverage is better for the spread and height of the shrubbery there.

I think a pair of Infinitis for all of those tree should do a fairly good job of filtering light up into the dense foliage of those trees. Just for variety, you could also sidelight (with a pair of spotlights)that small tree on the right side of your garage. If you’re worried about lighting effects being washed out, you might consider changing your fixtures or dialing back the bulb brightness. Up/down lights or down light type fixtures (where the light source is fully hidden) should do the trick. But if you don’t want to change those wall lights or you feel you need those bright lights for security then going up a step in brightness on the landscape light fixtures on that tree there might be your only alternative. C4C1DB24-0400-4B7D-B6CE-312DD7079BC6.png

Evan K likes this.
  4. Jimbo62466

Jimbo62466 New Member

Thank you so much MesoDude2!!!!! You have given me a lot to consider.....I really do appreciate your ideas and I am grateful that you took the time to help me.

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  5. Jimbo62466

Jimbo62466 New Member

6. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member