LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting placement?

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by pete, Oct 15, 2018.

Share This Page

1. pete

pete New Member

Hi,

I have purchased your kit with 6 spot lights and 3 max area path lights. I am looking for advice on optimal placement. The front face of my house is small and I think I will probably only need 2 spot lights, or 4 if it will look good.

On the attached picture, the red represents possible spotlight placements (behind the bushes), and the blue lines are for the path lights.

How does this look? Should I move any of them for the best look, and should I add any spotlights? Also, would you recommend pointing the spotlights higher (for light to reach second story) or lower for the best look? Or even 2 pointed high and 2 pointed low, all positioned to the sides of the bay window Also, how far should they be from the house?

Lastly, what is the recommended distance between the max area path lights for this application?

Thank you. genMid.217051170_2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hello Pete,

For spotlights, it is best to place them at least a foot away from the house. Given the proximity of the windows, I would recommend using a bulb or optic that has a narrow beam spread to avoid unwanted glare; this will also help focus the light towards the second story areas. Doing it this way, you would only need one fixture on either side of the window rather than one for each story.

Although spacing is largely preferential depending on the effects that you are trying to achieve, I am more than happy to offer general recommendations. For our Max Spread path lights, the diameter beam spread is approximately 16'. For continuous illumination along a path, space about 16' apart. For independent pools of light, space about 20 ft. apart. Given your layout, prime placement for path lights would be a central point in the small garden and along the front door pathway; both of which you have already included in your plans!