LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Lighting help for House

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Paul Flower, Apr 9, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Paul Flower

Paul Flower New Member

Looking for help with lighting design or recommendation for front of my house. I'm interested in lighting up the front with semi-bright warm lights. Most of neighborhood use semi to bright lights. In the picture there is a dog house with windows on the roof. Most have installed a single light attached to gutter shinning back at the dog house. I'm also interested if I should have one light on each side of the house near the front as the sides are very dark at night. Distance between house is only about 8' on each side. Would I need to place a light inside the arch way but at a lower warmth just to provide light in there. It's very dark at night if no porch light on? Any help on suggestion of proper lights or recommended kit. Thanks Paul

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Paul,

Beautiful home you have there; I would be happy to make some recommendations for lighting. For lighting your home, I would recommend using spotlights or in-ground lights. Both styles offer customization of the light, adjustability of the output, and they offer the uplighting that you are looking for. It would really come down to personal preference which you wanted to use. A spotlight is simple to install with a ground stake and offers easy adjustability for direct control of the light output. A well light would take a little more effort for the in-ground install but, the results are just as beautiful and the fixtures are extremely low profile (essentially incognito when installed).

For warm light, I would recommend a color temperature of 2700k or lower (2700k is the most commonly used for landscape lighting). To illuminate the dog house, you could use a gutter mounted spotlight and run the wire along/down your gutter system. To get some light in/around your front entryway, I would recommend a pair of path and area lights; one on either side of the walkway. With 360-degree light spreads, these would give you light on the walkway, the steps, and cast some ambient light into the front door area. A good kit for this project would be one of our (6) Spotlight (2) Path Light Kits; you would just need to purchase a gutter mount separately for the dog house.

Attached Files:

3. Paul Flower

Paul Flower New Member

Thanks, I just made my purchase of what I needed based on your help. Going to look great at night and now I can shut off the porch lights that had been on a automatic timer. I appreciate the quick reply from you Evant with this making the selection process much easier. I have walked around my neighborhood looking at what people have done. One neighbor I talked with used volt and it's night and day the difference in one the install looks professional and this guy has the best looking house at night. I'm going to install the transformer in my mechanical room in the basement and put the photo cell outside mounted on exterior in a small weather proof water tight box. Thanks again for all your help! P. Flower

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

My pleasure Paul!

Glad to see VOLT is 'lighting it up' in your neighboorhood. ;)

Be sure to let us know how your project turns out. You can share your project HERE!