LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

light up walls on entry stairs

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by bolex, May 27, 2020.

Share This Page

1. bolex

bolex New Member

Hello and thank you for any help you might be able to provide. We have staggered walls on our entry stairs that we would like to light up. I assume that wall wash lights would be best but our dilemma is that the highest wall closest to the front door only has about 5-6 inches of space to mount the light between the wall and the concrete step. It was recommended to us that we use shielded well lights against the wall. I bought the 38 degree bulbs. As you can see in the picture, the light is not wide enough on the wall, especially on the upper walls. I just ordered the 110 degree bulbs thinking that it would solve the problem. I realized when looking at the lights this evening that the shield is blocking the light so I am not sure the increased angle of the beam will matter all that much. Should I just remove the shield and use the 110 degree or choose another light such as the Gentle Splash? If I remove the shield will people be blinded as they walk up the stairs? I am just worried that there will not be enough room to fit the Gentle Splash between the top wall and the step. I have to use 2W bulbs to keep the brightness down.

Attached Files:

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, bolex. The well fixture shown here should suit your needs. But in order to light the walls uniformly, you'll want to make sure all three fixtures are parallel to one another.. For better glare protection, you should use a hex louvre. This will also dial back the overall brightness a smidge.

Attached Files:

Evan K likes this.
  3. bolex

bolex New Member

Great. I appreciate the response. Are these meant to be placed right up against the wall or away from it a bit? Also, should I use the 110 degree bulbs? I was thinking that would be better to disperse the light.

4. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

It's a matter of personal preference. In your case, you don't have a choice with that first light. In order to create the same effect on walls 2 & 3, you'll need to have the lights placed exactly the same distance from the wall as the first fixture. That's true for any type of fixture you use. If I'm not mistaken, your fixtures all have the same bulb but they're all different distances from the wall. If they are not aimed at precisely the same angle, that also will impact how similar or dissimilar the lighting effect on the walls will be. Hope that helps.

Evan K likes this.