LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Light selection and minimizing shadows

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Chris Kelly, Apr 25, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly New Member

I just completed a install of lighting on my home. I have one area that I'd like to improve and it is alongside the driveway. My wife wanted mostly walkway lighting but also wanted to illuminate a single potted plant. THe problem is that it casts a huge shadow. We used a G2 Fat Boy spotlight.

I thought about hitting it from 2 different 45 degree angles with 2 different spotlights OR butting one directly behind the pot (in addition to the one in front ) and using the rear one to 'wash out' the shadow.

Using 2 spots from such a small areas seems inefficient. I was hoping that there is a better single-light that would do a better job? If there isn't a better light selection that softens that shadow - will either of my other 2 options work better than the other?

(image attached)

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Adding more fixtures could help lessen the shadowing effect, but the illumination could be a bit overkill/unnecessary as you mentioned.

If your sole goal is to subtlety highlight the small plant, you could consider installing a highly compact spotlight directly in the planter pot - the Atom Mini Integrated LED Brass Spotlight would be ideal for this type of application.

3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Attached is one of my favorite images from VOLT’s customer project gallery. As one alternative to Evan’s usual great advice, it occurred to me that lighting from above using either a soffit-mounted puck or gutter-mounted down light would minimize or eliminate the wall shadow. As this example demonstrates, a soffit light alone directly above would likely disappear the planter. I happen to think the “floating” foliage here in the project photo looks pretty cool. But if you want to highlight your urn as well, I think a well-aimed down light on the gutter would do the trick. Understandably, some folks don’t want to deal with safety and logistical challenge of installing upper level gutter or soffit lights. With a first level roof, IMO a reasonably handy person should be able to do such an install safely and easily. Another approach that I think could be effective would be a compact well light like the one linked below. I just recently purchased one to uplight a Japanese maple. With the light source coming from at or below ground level, you may find it easier to aim the light so that the shadow appears where it’s less noticeable. Finally, if you haven’t already done this, dialing back the brightness might help as well. You could accomplish this by changing your bulb and/or installing a frosted glass filter (which, by itself would soften the shadows from the plant and the bricks). HTH. https://www.voltlighting.com/salty-dog-mr11-well-light

IMG_8872.jpg