LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Hello. Would like to confirm before I purchase please.

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Dave B, Nov 8, 2021.

Share This Page

1. Dave B

Dave B New Member

This drawing is the design of a paver walkway and open fire pit area. It will all be in pavers. There will be additional string lighting. Will be adding 10 pathway lights (the 24" ones) and just want to make sure this diagram looks good before I order. Getting the 150W slim transformer with timer. Any thoughts? Thank you.Dave

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey Dave,

As long as the transformer is plugged directly into a GFI outlet itself, whatever mounting position along the wall works most ideal for your design will be OK.

Running the conduit underneath can definitely help with getting the cable across the pathway - always good to know you could easily re-run wire again if needed for any reason.

The only thing I'd recommend double checking is the diameters of illumination listed for the path light hat styles you're looking at buying. Depending on what hat/shade style you want, and what type of lighting effect you're looking for, this will really determine how you want the fixtures spaced along the path way and around the fire pit.

For example, our Max Spread Path Light (24" stem) has a light spread of about 16ft in diameter. For continuous illumination along a path, you'd space these fixtures about 16 feet apart. For independent pools of light, you'd space about 20 feet apart.

It looks like you may have already worked this out with your planning, but I just wanted to recommend double-checking that.

3. Dave B

Dave B New Member

Great. Thank you Evan. To answer a couple of your thoughts/questions. I am placing a GFI outlet at the corner of the house. From there it will be under the path in conduit (not putting any 120V with low voltage) with a direct link to the outlet where the transformer will be plugged in (near the fire pit). That specific outlet won't be a GFI, but it will be GFI protected because it's down stream from the one at the house. That should be ok correct?

Yes, we like the idea of the whole pathway not being fully lit and complete circles visible down the pathway with some dark spots. Thanks. Dave

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Always happy to help!

As long as the outlet is a 3-prong outlet and connected to a protected circuit, that is also ideal for safe operation.

5. Dave B

Dave B New Member

Thank you.

Evan K likes this.