LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Fixtures Near Sprinklers

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by sagosto, Jun 14, 2020.

Share This Page

1. sagosto

sagosto New Member

Any concerns about fixtures installed in mulch beds near sprinklers? They will get hit with constant water.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

585AFBA8-C805-4E36-AC4A-233D3DF64DB1.gif The only fixture type I might be concerned about is certain path lights. And I think it would depend on where they were sited and the type of sprinkler head. I wouldn’t worry about the kind of sprinkler patterns that mimic rain (like the one on the right in the diagram). I would not want a rotating impulse type sprinkler (like the one on the left) blasting water like a giant super soaker underneath the canopy of my path lights for hours at a time. JMHO

Evan K likes this.
  3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

The rate at which the metal patinas will naturally be sped up (this chemical process is expected with natural brass landscape lights regardless - helps fixtures naturally blend with landscape overtime).

Depending on the water, hard-water stains may accumulate more often and significantly as well (can be cleaned off with proper materials if/when needed).

With the natural vacuum created by the routine heating and cooling of the porous brass, condensation buildup could likely also be noticeable more often given the direct contact with water (this would depend on the type of fixture as well).

Overall, nothing that truly poses an increased threat to the internals - just factors to note as far as maintenance and longevity.

Mesodude2 likes this.