LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Fishing for design advice...

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jeffrey, May 3, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

I am coordinating a project for my Brother-in-law and I would love some basic recommendations on fixture placement for the front of his home. I am pretty well versed on all things installation having successfully tackled 2 similar projects myself using your Volt products. Their goal is to illuminate the front facade of their home and improve the perimeter safety and “curb appeal”. Can this be done with just basic ground spot/flood lights close to the home? Any reason to install anything higher to accentuate the architecture of the upper floors? I have included photos for reference, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 6D7F1C08-858E-49C1-841A-F61777CB558E.jpeg

The home already has exterior “scone” type lighting highlighted with red circles

Attached Files:

Evan K and Mesodude2 like this.
  2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Close-up of home

Attached Files:

3. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Hi, Jeffrey. That’s a beautiful classic colonial. Please see my diagram of your photo. If this were my home, in addition to the main facade, I’d light the portico supports in a way that also indirectly illuminated that porch gable. I’d also illuminate the three gables on the roof. You might or might not want to illuminate the areas to each side of the window above the portico. I’d also illuminate both of those trees in the front yard and if possible the brick column with the address plaque. With all that wonderful brick work at the corners of the garage and main facade, it’d be a shame not to highlight those features. On my home (also a colonial), the porch lights are only on to greet us when we get home or when guests are expected. Even though they are not very hi wattage bulbs, at nightfall we usually leave them off so they don’t wash out the impact of the landscape lighting. Between those lights and driveway and walkway path lights, our perimeter lighting is very good. Bottom line, the house will look great with the main facade alone illuminated. Lighting those other features will only further increase the curb appeal. 639C91E9-381A-4059-A358-DD43FC04BAE6.jpeg

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Evan K likes this.
  4. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Very much appreciate the recommendations and your thoughtful insight. I assume the 2 circles at the bottom of the steps are down-facing path lights correct? What about the wide “V” on the ground in the grass in front of shrubs? Also, would you use a narrow 15 degree beam angle on the bulbs to keep light out of the windows as much as possible or 38 degrees and spread it more? Thank you again for steering me in the right direction

5. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

With the lights properly aimed and only a foot or so away from the foundation of your house, IMO, the 38 degree spread should result in very little light trespass. The areas of the house where I’d suggest 15 degree beam spread are the porch posts and if you were illuminating the brickwork to either side of your garage door. If light trespass for those eaves on the roof is a concern, you could always use a light blocking window treatment for those windows. Yes, those circles are for path lights. I also think a gentle floodlight for your front border garden would be good idea. This will give your lighting plan more dimension by tying the house to the ground.

Evan K likes this.