LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Existing Transformer

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Reddy, May 23, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Reddy

Reddy New Member

Hello, I am looking to but volt lighting kit from costco and it comes with transformer, how ever I inherited a transformer from previous owner which is manufactured by kichler. Can I reuse it and install the lights or should i replace the old transformer.

Please advise.

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I would contact VOLT customer service to confirm what (if any) warranty issues there are with using Volt fixtures with a non VOLT transformer. If not and the transformer works, good for you. VOLT sells a dual circuit transformer that allows you to power two different lighting systems. So you could program lights to turn on and off in one zone of your yard at a specified time and lights in a different zone would turn on or off at a different time. With two different transformers, you could do the same thing but with at least one extra benefit: you could power lights on different sides of pathways and driveways without having to tunnel under pathways and driveways. That is, assuming you had a power source on both sides of your yard.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

For any pre-existing transformers that aren't VOLT, you just want to be sure that the transformer has a magnetic core and an output of 12 volts AC (alternating current). This is typically listed in the inside of the transformer - you could also contact the manufacturer to confirm if not.

Mesodude2 likes this.