LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Bulb wattage & beam angle advise needed

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Garrett, Jun 20, 2020.

Share This Page

1. Garrett

Garrett New Member

I'm struggling to determine which wattage bulbs are going to be appropriate. I don't want to have to buy multiple wattage bulbs for each of my various beam angles in order to test these. Unless the bulbs are returnable after testing?

It would be really helpful to see pictures on your site of the same home lit with 2w, 3w and 5w for side by side illustration.

For my specific home, take a look at the stone house in the forum with the title "Need help for front elevation..." found here https://forum.voltlighting.com/threads/need-help-for-front-elevation.221/ and you'll see the general plan. I'm thinking 5w bulbs on the 15 degree spots on the chimney as well as the wide angle uplight spots on the two big oak trees out front, 3w for the facade of the house and 15 degree spots on the two oak tree trunks, and 3w for the 38 degree spots I'll focus on the smaller red tree. 2w for 38 degree mini spots on the dormers over the garage. But before I drop some coin on all of these bulbs does anyone have input here?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to look at the gallery or the page that discusses beam angle, color temp, etc but those pages might be a good way for you to conceptualize beam angle in a more concrete way. And I think because photos often don’t reflect the true lighting conditions, what you see in a photo isn’t necessarily what you’ll get IRL. Something else to keep in mind is that VOLT offers lots of filters and lenses that allow you to “tweak” the light output.

Evan K likes this.