LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Bulb recommendation for low/dim splash of light

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by KJC, Apr 20, 2022.

Share This Page

1. KJC

KJC New Member

Hi,

Our entire backyard was just lined with Emerald Green Arborvitaes 5'-6' tall spaced approx 3 feet apart. Goal is to grow for privacy. I want to place the gentle splash flood lights facing the trees providing a low cast of light just enough to highlight the trees and not put them on display if you know what I mean. The lights will be place about 1 foot in front of the trees due to the size of the stone bed and curb edging in place. I achieved this in my front beds by using Hue strip lights lowered to 50% shining on the shrubs and they look great. Want to emulate in the back but understand I don't have the option to dim these lights. Was hoping to achieve the same effect was a lower wattage bulb. Do you think this is doable? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  2. Dirk Yamamoto

Dirk Yamamoto New Member

I have two 7` columns on our front porch and chose to use two Top Dog spotlights to illuminate them. I wanted "warm" and "subtle" lighting, so I chose 2700K, 3 watts. A beam angle of 15 degrees worked perfectly for my needs and it might work also for the somewhat narrow arborvitaes. I also use All Star spotlights elsewhere in the yard and they work great, too.

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Posting a picture may help with more precise recommendations.

Using a lower watt bulb with the frosted lenses included with the gentle splash could certainly provide subtle illumination, but to Dirk's point, given the 3ft spacing between the trees, spotlights may be more ideal for keeping the illumination focused on the trees.