LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Backyard lighting recommendations

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by tomoury, May 23, 2019.

Share This Page

1. tomoury

tomoury New Member

2. tomoury

tomoury New Member

Sorry didn't mean to upload pic with commenting. I'm looking for lighting recommendations for the attached picture. I'm open for suggestions but am currently thinking 4 up lights: 6 watts on the first tree to the left and 4 watts for the other 3. 4 down lights which will cover the sections with the circles. Was thinking of getting a 150 watt slim line transformer that will be placed on/in the shed. Any suggestions on specific types of lights and bulbs would be appreciated. Thanks

3. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Hey tomoury,

Sounds like you already have a good plan in place. One recommendation that I would make after looking at the picture would be to make sure to mount your downlights at least 20' up the trunk of the tree. This is generally recommended to keep the focus of the light on the target object below the tree rather than being directed slightly outwards causing unsightly glare. The fixtures are provided with additional lengths of lead wire to help compensate for this height without having any wire connections visibly dangling in the tree.

As far as fixtures go, it sounds as though you were already interested in lamp-ready models (uses light bulbs). For a lamp-ready downlight, I would suggest the All-Star™ Downlight. For the lamp-ready spotlight counterpart, you could use the All-Star™ Spotlight or, a more budget-friendly option would be a Fat Boy. As far as bulbs go, this is more preferential to the levels of illumination you were looking to accomplish. We have 2W, 3W, 5W, and 7W for our MR16 bulbs currently. For the larger trees, I would definitely recommend a 5W or a 7W LED MR16 with a narrow beam spread (15-degrees). For the downlights, I would recommend either 3W or a 5W LED bulbs. 2700k is the most popular color temperature for residential lighting (a soft, warm white).

4. tomoury

tomoury New Member

Appreciate the feedback. Will be ordering this weekend. Thanks

Evan K likes this.
  5. tomoury

tomoury New Member

What size wire would you recommend. I wound up getting the LED's instead of the lamps. Thanks

6. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

The best gauge of cable to use for any yard is based on the distances of the runs. From your transformer, how far away is the furthest fixture in feet? Most projects use 14-gauge (rated for uses up to 75') or 12-gauge which is rated for uses up to 150'.