LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

Advice on lighting short rock wall

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by kered, May 5, 2020.

Share This Page

1. kered

kered New Member

Disregard the dirt, I was doing a little leveling. i'd like to highlight this wall but but i dont want anything stuck in the yard that i have to mow around. I feel the hardscape lighting is too big and will look funny on the shorter part of the wall. I've considered pathway lights stuck behind the rockwall but im not sure they would shine on the face of it. Any tips?

Also, I'd like to highlight the topiaries on either side but i feel if i put a spotlight in front of them it will cast a big shadow on the house. do i need to put a spotlight in front of and behind the trees?

Sorry for the garbage pics but its all i have right now, the second pic is what i had in mind as far as spotlights. i have the 2 allstar spotlights with 15° spread 7w for the flag and 4 of the spark spotlights with 2w 38° spread for the house. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Illuminating a low lying rock wall like maybe a bit tricky - being so low, hardscape lights would likely just create hotspots of light on the ground and really not highlight the texture of the brick. Placing a floodlight or spotlight out in the grass would highlight the brick but, also pose a nuisance for yardwork being in the middle of the yard, and also likely cast glare through the windows.Your best bet for illuminating that garden bed would likely be some area lights - we have a variety of different types ranging from mini (12") to standard sizes (24") and many decorative styles. If high enough, the area light would likely cast light on the bricks as well to help highlight them without casting a shadow from the wall in the yard.

Shadowing is actually one of the preferred lighting design effects that many people installing spotlights in front of trees aim to accomplish. It helps add depth/dimension to the design - you could consider a compact MR11 or MR8 style spotlight for illuminating those small trees with a low-profile fixture - hardly noticeable in the garden and the subtle light output could beautifully accent the trees while casting minimal light onto the siding of the house.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  3. kered

kered New Member

thanks! do you think it would look funny with the casting shadows look on the right side and no shadow uplighting in the left?

4. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Homeowners often use different types of lighting tactics in different spots of their yards - it can add different dimensions to the design. So, you wouldn't necessarily need to continue the 'shadowing' effect around the entire home - especially when there are areas where it may be quite hard to accomplish.

5. kered

kered New Member

Great! Thanks for the input!

Evan K likes this.