LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

A little help with Lighting project

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by J Morgan, Apr 25, 2020.

Share This Page

1. J Morgan

J Morgan New Member

image0.jpeg image0.jpeg Hello,

I have been contenplating installing some 12v LED lighting. I currently have 6 solar path lights up-front, but would like to switch to something a bit more dependable and provides some lighting all night. I would like to start with the front and right side of house first to obtain a nice appearance, then move to the back yard after getting some experience :) I am not sure about the placement of the uplighting, should they be between the windows or under each window? Maybe on to the left of the garage door as well? There is about 12 inches between house and the front shrubbery on each side of front door. I am thinking the up-lights should be closest to the house, but which fixtures would you recommend, what wattage, what color and what degree of spread would you use? Also thinking about installing four path lights, two on each side as well to light the sidewalk on left side of front door and two on other side to light the shrubs. Really interested in your feedback.

Mesodude2 likes this.
  2. Mesodude2

Mesodude2 Well-Known Member

Magnificent house, J Morgan! I diagrammed your photo to indicate one approach. Generally speaking, placing lights in front of windows isn't recommended but sometimes architecture presents us with unique challenges. IMO, if light trespass isn't an issue (or you can address light trespass issues adequately--by using blackout shades, curtains, or blinds for instance), then you should be fine. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend anything higher than 2W lamps for all of your fixtures. I think that light level will show off your home effectively without being overly bright. For my own red brick home, I've chosen 2700Kk for the architecture and 3000K for plant material. It's really a matter of personal preference and I thought 3000K on the house was a bit too cool. You might feel differently. Some people use the same color temperature for all of their lighting. Whatever creates the effect and mood you want is what's important.

In terms of fixture, there are many spotlights to choose from. For ground level fixtures, my recommendation is to visit the website and choose whatever is within your budget.For the garage door, I'd recommend a couple of puck lights evenly spaced to show off your garage door and the ground in front of that door. Above the garage door, I'd recommend a pair of gutter mounted mini spotlights (All Stars).I'd also recommend a mini spot for that gable on the right. 38° beam spreads for all spotlights except for the side of the house and the section to the left of your entrance. I think a 60° beam spread might be necessary for those two sections. I'd recommend the Volt Wide Splash flood light. Unfortunately I can't see your walkway well enough to thoughtfully recommend where you should place path lights. Generally, though, you want to illuminate changes in grade and transitions (like corners, steps, or places where a path or driveway curves, begins or ends). Others may recommend a different approach. Feel free to take my recommendations with a grain of salt.
    facade 425.jpg

Evan K likes this.