LANDSCAPE LIGHTING WORLD® FORUMS

600W transformer power-on impacting 120v circuit

Discussion in 'Ask the Landscape Lighting Experts' started by Jonathan C Grahmann, May 12, 2022.

Share This Page

1. Jonathan C Grahmann

Jonathan C Grahmann New Member

Problem solved - it was the plug. Swapped out the original 120V plug out for a new GFCI and it works like a charm, no further issues.

-----original post below------
    I have a 600W Volt transformer at the back of the house driving roughly 25 5-10W LED lights , using 10-2 wire for the main run and splicing in the lights using 16-2 for a 3-4 ft run off the 10-2 wire. The full run of 10-2 is roughly 150 ft. All of the lights work just fine.

The issue I have is, the transformer is on the same circuit as my living room (lights, TV, cable modem etc) and about 50% of the time, when the transformer is powered on, some of the electronics plugged into the same 120v circuit will lose power for a millisecond (my battery backup kicks on for a couple seconds as well). I'm trying to understand what could be causing this.

This happens regardless of the load on the transformer (disconnecting the lights does not help). The incremental draw on the 120V circuit is only 2A when the unit is powered on (measured at the breaker). At 600W, I'm assuming the max draw would be 5A@120V, which is nowhere near the max on that 120V circuit - the issue still happens when there is <1A draw on the circuit prior to the unit powers on.

The only thing I can think of is somehow its causing a very brief amp or volt surge, but no breakers have ever tripped, and no electronics on the same circuit have ever been damaged, plus it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Curious if anyone has thoughts as to why this may be happening or has seen anything like this?

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Evan K likes this.
  2. Evan K

Evan K Community Admin Staff Member

Awesome - glad you were able to figure it out!!